Assess the purpose of the rules of evidence related to writings, recordings, and photographs.
Write a 10- to 12-page paper that addresses all of the following.
- Based upon your review of Davis v. Washington, U.S. Supreme Court (2006), discuss the issue of hearsay and confrontation as applied in this case.
- Based upon United States v. Odom, U. S. Court of Appeals, 4th Cir. (1984), explain the issue of mental competency as it relates to a witness statement under FRE 601.
- Discuss issues regarding opinion and expert testimony in United States v. Paul, 11th Cir. Court of Appeals (1999).
- Based upon the reading, discuss the best evidence rule as it applies to the introduction and definition of “writing” FRE 1001(1) in United States v. Duffy, 5th Cir. Ct. of Appeals, 1972.
- Based upon the reading, discuss the procedure for determining the admissibility of new “expert testimony” as outlined in Daubert v. Merrel Dow Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 509 U.S. 579, 1993.
As you answer all of the above, discuss within each specific rule and evidentiary area, how a court determines relevancy and how the court acts as the gatekeeper of admissible evidence.
NOTE: This assignment will require outside research. Use the textbook and at least two other scholarly resources to support your paper.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"