Teachers need to be able to distinguish between various theories of language acquisition while understanding the processes involved in how and when the acquisition occurs and to what pace and degree. The purpose of this assignment is to outline various theories of language acquisition for teacher colleagues.
Create an informative pamphlet of 750-1,000 words for your fellow colleagues in the Birth-Pre-K or K-3 classroom as a resource they can consult throughout the year.
In your brochure, address the following:
- Explain how language develops and is acquired in childhood (define key terms used, such as language acquisition), including an emphasis on language development through socialization and social engagement.
- Briefly outline the primary language acquisition theories, including Skinner’s behaviorism, Chomsky’s nativist theory of language development, functionalism, and socioculturalism, and explain which theory or theories you would emphasize to support students’ language acquisition in your classroom and why.
- Explain the role of parents/guardians in modeling and reinforcing language, as well as 2-3 activities teachers can share with parents/guardians to model and reinforce language development.
- Explain how students who are learning English as a first language are supported in your classroom through specific instructional strategies and tools, as well as how students who are learning English as a second or more language are supported in your classroom through specific instructional strategies and tools.
- Include a list of three or more language development activities that teachers can share with parents/guardians to reinforce language development at home.
Your pamphlet should be organized in a logical manner and include a title, section headings, and visuals. Remember your audience and use appropriate tone and verbiage.
Support your findings with 3-5 scholarly resources.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"