Global Energy Analysis
Worldwide energy consumption varies dramatically, but the impacts are shared by all. The most commonly used fuel sources for energy around the world are fossil fuels: coal, oil, and natural gas. The combustion of fossil fuels releases pollutants into the atmosphere, where the emissions from all countries combine to cause local, regional, and global issues. One of the primary pollutants of concern is carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas. Carbon dioxide emissions are responsible for climate change, and governments around the world have taken steps to control carbon dioxide levels, but not all countries have been successful in reducing carbon emissions.
While all countries produce pollution and emit greenhouse gases, the emission releases are very unequal across the globe. Consider what kinds of factors would determine how much energy is used by a country, a region, a household, or an individual. What factors would influence the fuel choices made by these people and institutions?
For this assignment, you will conduct research to determine the common fuel sources, sources of emissions, and applicable regulations of a country of your choice and create a PowerPoint presentation designed to educate your classmates. The PG Library has created a library resource with references for you to use to start this assignment. You are also welcome to utilize the Reading assignments in your textbook and other credible sources that you find. The PG Library is also available to search other scientifically-based sources to support your assignment. Please keep in mind that Wikipedia is not considered a reliable resource.
- Define and provide examples of each:
- Fossil fuels, non-renewable energy, and renewable energy.
- Identify a country that uses fossil fuels as its primary source of energy.
- Discuss why the country continues to rely on fossil fuels.
- Provide examples of manufactured products or agriculture that are dependent upon fossil fuel use in that country. Consider the level of industrialization in the country and discuss.
- Discuss impacts of the continued use of fossil fuels:
- Include both local and global impacts.
- Discuss both long- and short-term impacts on:
- The environment, human health, and economy. Be specific and detailed in your discussion.
- Identify at least one regulation or law that the country put in place to reduce or control emissions and/or air pollution.
- What factors were the regulation or law designed to address?
- How effective has this regulation or law been?
- Have emissions or pollution levels decreased?
- What solutions or new regulations would you implement in order to reduce fossil fuel usage in the country you chose? You can look to other countries around the world or the United Nations for examples of energy and emissions regulations.
- Global efforts are being made to reduce fossil fuel usage and pollution. Countries must work together to solve these problems. Review the following references for more information about how countries and individuals can work to combat climate change and bridge cultural differences and answer the following questions.
- Imperial College London. (2020). Countries must work together on CO2 removal to avoid dangerous climate change. ScienceDaily. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/06/200608114710.htm
- TED. (n.d.). Bridging cultural differences. https://www.ted.com/playlists/411/bridging_cultural_differences
- United Nations. (n.d.). Climate action. Sustainable development goals. https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/climate-change/
- Imagine that the country you selected has chosen to work with another country to implement the solution/regulation you recommended in #5 above. What country would they work with on this project and why did you choose that country to partner with?
- Analyze possible cultural differences and diversity concepts that would emerge if you recommended your changes stated above to another country? For example, what language barriers or religious and social differences would you encounter? What other cultural differences might need to be addressed as these two countries work together?
- Describe how countries can bridge cultural differences through strategic partnerships (e.g., a strategic partnership between countries is an Embassy). Include at least two ways that the cultural differences you identified can be addressed.
A PowerPoint template is available for your use in creating this presentation. The template should be used as a guide only. Add your own wording into the template by writing over the existing information on each slide. Also include graphics and/or a colorful background theme to enhance the presentation. The PowerPoint presentation should contain approximately 10 slides in total.
Information provided on the slides should be brief and bulleted. In the notes section, you will include your talking points as if you were presenting them to an audience. Remember, you want to tell the story during the presentation rather than having your audience reading your slides along with you during the entire presentation. The Writing Center has an excellent resource on Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations:
- Purdue University Global Writing Center. (n.d.). Creating effective PowerPoint presentations. https://campus2.purdueglobal.edu/article/creating-effective-powerpoint-presentations
Basic Presentation Expectations:
- Include a title slide, introductory slide, and conclusion slide.
- Use images (with citations) as appropriate to create an effective and professional presentation.
- Include short descriptions and labels – bullet points are encouraged. Do not write out full paragraphs of information on each slide.
- Talking points that would be presented to an audience are included for each slide (as appropriate) in the NOTES section of the slide.
- Respond to the questions in a thorough manner, providing specific examples of concepts, topics, definitions, and other elements asked for in the questions. Your submission should be highly organized, logical, and focused.
- Your submission should have no evidence of plagiarism. Paraphrase information taken from references.
- Your submission must be written in Standard English and demonstrate exceptional content, organization, style, and grammar and mechanics.
- A separate slide at the end of your presentation should contain a list of references in APA format. Use your textbook, the Library, and the internet for research.
- Be sure to include references for all sources and to cite them using in-text citations where appropriate. Your sources and content should follow the current APA citation style. Review the writing resources for APA formatting and citation found in Academic Tools. Additional writing resources can be found within the Academic Success Center.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"