Chapter 6 of your textbook opens with a reminder that healthcare systems are built by the unique talents, aims, and complex relationships of the humans comprising them (p. 105). The relationships healthcare systems are built on are as complex as the individuals in them, making the quality and strength of these relationships especially important. Trust, the relational state this chapter primarily focuses on, is actively built over time through experiences that require risk, openness, vulnerability, and reliability (p. 110).
This week’s assignment demonstrates our trust in you, as a future leader in healthcare provision. Choose an area of your current or future work in healthcare leadership and a particular point made in this week’s readings that impacted you to build an assignment on. At this point in your program, you are familiar with a variety of assignment formats such as:
Topical research paper
- Case Study with Discussion
- Narrated PPT Presentation
- While your assignment must meet some minimum criteria (see below), you are entrusted with the focus and direction. Maybe you are interested in the reasons a certain demographic of patients struggle with building strong provider-patient trust and what could be done to effect change. Maybe you have seen the effects of low employee trust in a healthcare setting and want to explore how that impacts patient outcomes or financial costs. Maybe you want to change how managers or supervisors are viewed by executive leadership in hospital emergency room management. Maybe you want to discuss scenarios of healthcare challenges managed well, such as the Cleveland Clinic’s response to the pandemic during 2020 (see this week’s Instructional Resources). Whatever your leading topic, think critically about the role of leadership and the elements of trust that your reading explores, as well as what additional research might aid your understanding.
- Create a submission that meets the following criteria:
1500 Words minimum for a paper, submitted as a Word document, please use the APA 7th Essay Template
5-7 minutes for a narrated PPT presentation, submit slides with presenter notes and link to presentation uploaded to Youtube (See below for PPT narration tutorials)
The assignment must include a statement explaining what it is intending to analyze, demonstrate, discuss, or explain
- QUESTION 2
- Chapter 5 of your textbook explores how healthcare entrepreneurs can help the healthcare industry keep up with the pace of change and develop meaningful innovations (p. 101). An entrepreneur’s focus is usually on improving quality and affordability while also creating profit for their firm. For this week’s discussion, introduce your classmates to an entrepreneur or healthcare startup that you think demonstrates the value entrepreneurs bring to healthcare innovation.
Explain who they are and what they are doing. Which of the three critical elements of disruptive innovation (p. 99) are present in your example? Based on your research, share what you discover about their process and challenges to bring this innovation to market or implement it.
Expert Solution Preview
In this assignment, students are asked to choose an area of their current or future work in healthcare leadership and create an assignment based on a particular point made in the readings of Chapter 6. The assignment can take various formats such as a topical research paper, analytical paper, case study with discussion, or a narrated PPT presentation. Students are encouraged to explore the role of leadership and the elements of trust discussed in the readings, and incorporate additional research to deepen their understanding.
For the second question, students are required to introduce their classmates to an entrepreneur or healthcare startup that they believe demonstrates the value entrepreneurs bring to healthcare innovation. They need to explain who the entrepreneur or startup is and what they are doing, and identify which of the three critical elements of disruptive innovation are present in their example. Additionally, students should share their findings regarding the process and challenges faced by the entrepreneur or startup in bringing their innovation to market or implementing it.
Overall, these assignments aim to foster critical thinking, research skills, and an understanding of the importance of trust and innovation in healthcare leadership.