In discussing domestic violence, it is important to note that most men in this country aren’t abusive. The question emerges, however, of the role that non-violent men have in preventing violence against women.
Rus Erin Funk, author of Stopping Rape: A Challenge for Men, writes “I want to see men come together to discuss these issues, and to plan how to dismantle this system of domination and control that keeps men in a position as victimizer or threat. That is our, men’s work…We have the ability to create a world where all women, children and men are safe from the threat of men’s violence.” (Funk, 1993, p. 129)
For the purposes of this discussion topic please complete the following:
- Watch the video: Violence against Women: it’s a Men’s Issue: http://www.ted.com/talks/jackson_katz_violence_against_women_it_s_a_men_s_issue
- Click on this link to hear spoken word artist Dasan Ahanu read his poem Can I, which he wrote while conducting sexual-assault awareness and education training with men in Durham,N.C.: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6367602&sc=emaf
- Locate a web site of your choice that provides information about men’s efforts to stop violence against women.
- Post the web site address or create a link so that others may access the information if they desire.
- Provide a brief summary of the information located at the site.
- Respond to the following question:
- What role do non-violent men play in helping to prevent domestic violence? Please explain.
- Use proper in-text citations and references
Reference: Funk, R.E. (1993). Stopping rape: A challenge for men. Philadelphia, PA: New Society Publishers.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"