There are many factors that can be associated with the cause of violent crime. Research suggests that some of the factors include severe mental health abnormalities, children who are consistently exposed to violence at home, firearm availability, the independent subculture of violence, and the socialization process, just to name a few. In addition, it has also been found that when homicide occurs, there is often a preexisting relationship that is present. Some relationships include a romantic relationship, narcotic seller/narcotic buyer relationship, or a gang rivalry. Despite the understanding of the aforementioned, criminal justice professionals still have difficulty controlling homicides. Review Chapter 10 in your primary text, and watch the video Murder Capital USA Ganglands of Chicago (Links to an external site.), which discusses the high murder rates in Chicago and focuses on contributing factors (Siegel, 2015; Danzo1212, 2013). In your paper,
- Critique a criminological theory that explains why homicides occur.
- Discuss ways to decrease and control homicides in the United States.
- Discuss some of the factors of focus of the various sociological schools of crime causation that explain why murder occurs.
Your paper must
- Be three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Use at least five scholarly sources in addition to the course text and the article being evaluated.
- Document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
EACH QUESTION MUST HAVE IT’S OWN SUBTITLE IN THE PAPER
Siegel, L. J. (2015). Criminology: The core (5th ed.). Retrieved from https://redshelf.com/
- Chapter 10: Violent Crime
Danzo1212. (2013, December 22). Murder capital USA ganglands of Chicago (Links to an external site.) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F1-5prOJDs
- The video discusses the high murder rates in Chicago. It focuses on factors that significantly contribute to the high murder rates such as gang conflict, the drug trade, and innocent victims caught in the cross fire. It concentrates on ideas to control the aforementioned and supports this week’s discussion, “Degrees of Murder,” and the assignment, “Controlling Violent Crime.” Transcript (Links to an external site.)
Accessibility Statement (Links to an external site.)
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"